When people hear me talk about how I use a combined expressive art making and yoga method to increase Creative Flow, not surprisingly, they question how it works. Images of spandex, paintbrushes and yoga mats may dance across their mind—and that can be a distasteful visual, even for me! So here’s the low-down on my program, and why it works for everyone. Note: no prior yoga experience, stretchy clothes, or artistic skills are required.
Why Expressive Art Making + Yoga Works Universally
Expressive art making and yoga works universally to increase Flow because their benefits are biological. Expressive art making and yoga are both proven to reduce the experience of stress, specifically by lowering your body's heart- and breath rate, and by decreasing the production of the stress hormone cortisol. Additionally, each discipline has demonstrated measurable improvements in people's sense of well being and self acceptance. So why not put art making and yoga together into one amazing program?
Two common responses are : 1. "I'm not flexible"; and 2. "I can't make art". Here is the truth for those who doubt their ability to increase Flow (and overcome overwhelm) through a combined art and yoga program:
- Yoga is for everyone. There are many ways to receive its benefits, well beyond the stretch-and-sweat of going to a traditional studio yoga class. Yoga has 7 limbs--including areas of self study, self care, and wisdom teachings--beyond the poses (poses are an additional limb, called asana, totaling 8 limbs). Asana can be practiced in a reclined position (on your back) and even from a chair. Literally, if you can breathe, you can do yoga. I design sequences that are accessible to everyone, and yoga wisdom is embedded in every course I teach.
- Expressive line art techniques require no artistic skill or special art materials. Simplicity makes the process equally available to an executive, an elderly person, and even a child.
- The entire process is oriented to getting you out of your head and into your heart, and then to express emotions and ideas from that place. We use yoga as a physical and emotional relaxation technique, so that you can connect with your deep inner wisdom. We use creativity and other journaling techniques to give your deep inner wisdom a voice.
- When your mind is quieter and you feel more connected to your deep inner wisdom, you’re also more creative. Therefore, you experience more Flow!
Applications of the Art + Yoga Method
People use the art + yoga method to experience greater reassurance and ease. They also use it to find solutions and insights into many kinds of overwhelming emotional or strategic problems:
- Define better personal/professional relationship boundaries;
- Articulate a unique, authentic brand promise;
- Make decisions about a life path or life transition;
- Disempower a debilitating strong emotion such as fear or grief;
- Improve performance, or address performance anxiety.
I've shared this practice with a variety of groups that include blind veterans, individuals with PTSD, individuals recovering from opioid addiction, athletic coaches, university leadership, artists, and business leaders from around the country. The venues where I teach range from community non-profits, to residential treatment, to luxurious resorts and business retreats.
“(Art and yoga) felt playful, and I found freedom from the stress of running my business.”
— Gayle, Interior Designer, San Fancisco
Overcome Overwhelm with Art + Yoga
No matter the what the source of your overwhelm may be, the process of combined expressive art making and yoga remains the same. And so does the outcome. People are left feeling calmer, clearer, and more connected to themselves. That success is outstanding, and it's also known as increased Creative Flow!
You can receive the IMMEDIATE BENEFITS of this method for FREE, today! Sign up now to receive my 14-page e-book and practice guide.
Jodi Rose Gonzales ATR, NCC, RYT200. Jodi Rose is an artist, art therapist, author, yogi and coach whose mission is to empower people to achieve lasting personal change and breakthrough professional results. Using a unique evidence-based program informed by art therapy, positive psychology, neuroscience and yoga, Jodi shows her clients how to achieve peak performance, peace of mind, enhanced clarity, and improved creativity and focus. Jodi offers live and virtual presentations, group workshops, and retreat intensives. Follow Jodi Rose on Facebook , Instagram or Linked In. For more information email email@example.com or visit https://jodirosestudio.com/.